This D.I.Y banner was inspired by my Dad’s birthday this week. He is turning 80! Can you believe it! That’s a pretty big landmark so I wanted to do something special other than just the gift thing. We were supposed to be in Las Vegas celebrating this momentous occasion but alas the East coast weather was not going to let that happen. So the celebration has had to be postponed to further notice. When this trip is rescheduled I still plan to sneaky decorating my Dad’s hotel room with this birthday surprise. (Don’t worry my Dad does not know I have a blog….yet at least…So Suuuushhh!). This is actually going to be a 2 part blog post. Today I am going to show you how I made the banner and tomorrow I will show you how I made the tissue paper garland to go a long with it. So let’s get started!
- Cardstock Paper (I used 12 sheets of blue and 2 sheets of gold)
- Letter and Number Stencils (I used size 9 inch)
- X Acto Knife
- Start off my tracing the letters you will need in pencil on the scrapbook paper.
- Once you have all the letters you will need for your banner use the X Acto knife to cut out the letters. I didn’t have smaller stencils for the TH of the 80th so I just used a ruler to make sure the lines were straight and cut them out on my own.
- Now that you have all your letters cut out it is time to use the thread and needle to string them together. Make sure you make your first insertion point in the front of the letter so most of the string will be hidden behind the banner. Like so. Continue this until all your letters are on the thread. I broke mine into 3 different parts. Happy, Birthday, and 80th.
- Now hang on the wall with your favorite hanging product (tape, tacky) and enjoy!
Don’t forget about the tissue paper garland coming tomorrow!